How to Register
Please have the following documents ready before beginning the 'Online Registration' for your program of interest.
During the online registration you will be asked to upload the following documents:
- Copy of Passport (biographical page only): Your passport must be valid at least 6 months beyond the last day you plan to be in the United States. If your passport expires before that date, it must be renewed BEFORE applying.
- Proof of Financial Support: (BASED ON THE PROGRAM - NOT ALWAYS REQUIRED) Some applicants are required to submit documentation verifying adequate funding to meet study and living expenses while in the U.S.
- Completed W-8BEN Form: This is a tax form that all participants are required to fill out prior to arriving in the U.S. This form verifies you as a foreign national with our Taxation department.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency: (BASED ON THE PROGRAM - NOT ALWAYS REQUIRED) You are required to submit proof of your English proficiency. Depending on the program’s criteria, this document could be a written essay, showing your level of English proficiency, or an official document from an English test you have taken within the past two years.
Please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button to begin your registration.
After you have been selected for a Global Certificate Program at the University of New Mexico, GEO is responsible for creating and processing different documents that are required prior to your arrival in the United States. Please read the following steps to get familiarized with the process.
Fill out the online registration and upload all the required documents.
Global Programs staff will review your application. IF NEEDED: Global Programs staff will contact you via email if there are any missing information or documents.
Step 3:Once your completed application has been received and approved, your information will be entered into the UNM and US Department of State databases. Processing takes approximately 3-5 business days. NOTE: If your program requires you to apply for a J-1 student visa, please review the ‘Visa Process’ tab for additional steps.
Step 4:After your information is processed, Global Programs staff will email a welcome letter with pre-arrival instructions and an invitation to join a messaging app (WhatsApp or WeChat).
Global Programs provides assistance with programs which require participants to enter the U.S. with a J-1 student visa. Please read the following steps to get familiarized with this process.
*continuation of Step 3 from the ‘Registration Process’ tab.
*Step 3 (a): After entering your information into the US Department of State database, we will create a DS-2019 form which we will mail to you. NOTE: Sometimes this form is mailed to the director/coordinator who is sponsoring your program.
Step 3 (b): Once you receive your DS-2019 form, you will need to pay the SEVIS fee (Form I-901). This should be done at least 3 business days prior to your visa interview. NOTE: Sometimes the Global Programs staff or the Sponsor of the program will pay the SEVIS fees for the participants and email the receipts to them.
To pay the SEVIS fee, click on "PAY I-901 FEE" and follow the instructions. Note: You must have your DS-2019 in hand before you start this process. You will need to bring a printed copy of the SEVIS receipt with you to the visa interview.
Step 3 (c): After the SEVIS fee has been paid, you will need to make an appointment for your visa interview at the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate. You will be required to pay a visa application fee when you make your appointment. Oftentimes, these appointments are scheduled at the same time and date as other participants in your program. Please check with your program’s main sponsor before making your appointment.
Step 3 (d): Global Programs staff will obtain international health insurance for you and will email an electronic version of your Health Insurance Card to you.
Step 3 (e): On the day of your visa interview, you will need to bring the following documents with you:
- Valid Passport
- DS-2019 Form
- Acceptance letter to the program
- Printed copy SEVIS fee receipt
- Printed copy of your health insurance card
- Proof of financial guarantee or letter of sponsorship